Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Week of 07/08/2013



Location: Approx. 10th and Wood St.
Camera: Panasonic Lumix G2
Lens: Olympus 14-42 ED
ISO: 200
Proof Print: Epson 3880/ Piezography K7 Selenium inks/ Cone #5 PBaryta paper

I was just about to wrap up an afternoon of perambulations in the area that has come to be known as “The Eraserhood” since David Lynch once lived there and the area does have a distinctively surreal quality. Something told me to keep going a bit longer---to travel west along a narrow and fairly ugly strip that abuts a parking lot; it was near closing time and the sun was getting low. My perseverance was rewarded.

I’m often on the fence about which paper I prefer, the more cold-toned Lasal or the warmer, creamier, Cone 5 paper, that has a slight gloss as opposed to the Moab, which is flat matte.  I usually print on Lasal, since it’s ¼ the price of the Cone and I’m used to the way it behaves. The Cone is also a two step printing process, requiring the print to dry and then receive a clear overcoat. This print seemed to call out for the richer, warmer tone of the Cone 5, plus the better detail and separation in the dark tones that the Cone paper offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment