Tuesday, December 24, 2013

12/23/13 CityLights

Location: 24th and Bainbridge
File size: Approx. 12 x 17” @240 dpi
Print size: 8” x 12”
Camera: Canon EOS5d
Lens: 35-105 f4 Zoom @60mm
ISO: 400
Exposure: 2.5 seconds @ f8

I frequently think of Archimedes’ injunction: “Give me a place to stand, and I’ll move the world!” With no implications as to stature, for me it’s often the question of finding a good vantage point rather than a place to put the fulcrum. Sometimes it’s a hole in a fence, a space that hasn't been cordoned off, or in this case, simply a view that opened with demolition that hasn't yet been forever obscured by the new building.

Walking down Bainbridge I have watched the town homes springing up in assembly-line fashion. I knew this vista would not last   I had photographed the location the day before, but the photos were wanting. The view was too wide; I hadn’t honed in on the subject. I also believe I shot using a signpost or telephone pole to brace the slow exposure. Even though the ISO was kicked up to 1600, they weren't tack sharp which I felt was necessary for a photo such as this.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I’d have a clear night and an unobstructed view, I returned the next evening -- with a sturdy tripod. I had to shoot using the ten second self-timer to minimize camera vibration and hope a car didn’t come down Bainbridge at the point of exposure. A few of the shots had to be redone because of this.

Happy Holidays! 

No comments:

Post a Comment