Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Week of 09/09/2013: Development Opportunity




Location:  Near 6th and Green Streets
Camera: Nikon FM2n
Lens: Nikkor 135mm f2.8
Image Size: 6” x 9” @260 dpi
Film: Kodak Portra 400
Develop: PhotoLounge
Scan: Epson V500
Print:  Epson Artisan 1430/ Cone color inks/ Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Lustre

At the time of its construction, around 1900, the steeple of this church was likely the highest point in the neighborhood.  Serving both as a religious and social anchor, houses of worship like this often took decades to complete and were over-built with care and artistry; they needed to endure for centuries. Now their numbers are dwindling in Philadelphia’s urban-scape.  The steeple of another church near 11th and Spring Garden, likely to be razed, is visible in the background.

Although I don’t harbor the grandiose notion that I can move the world, doing this shot made me think of the quotation from Archimedes: “Give me a place to stand…” As I recall, I spent a great deal of time looking for a vantage point from which to shoot. There was a fenced in lot adjacent and I just couldn’t get close; though I did eventually find a spot that worked, but not as precisely as I would have liked.  I really could have used a huge 200mm lens which would have required a tripod.   Such are the problems when one travels on foot and can carry only limited gear.  

No comments:

Post a Comment