Wednesday, October 9, 2013

10 07 13: Shores of the Schuylkill

Place: Schuylkill Banks, across from The Philadelphia Museum of Art
Image Size: 11.5 x 17 @300 dpi (full frame)
Camera: Nikon FM2n
Lens: 28-105 Nikkor Zoom
Film: Kodak Portra 400, 35mm
Develop: Photo Lounge
Scan: Epson V500
Proof: Epson Artisan 1430/Cone Color Inks/ Moab Lasal

I’m forever hungering for more texture and detail in my prints, although I am finding lately that smoothing an area and making less of a focus may be necessary to the overall structure of an image. I’d much rather do that in the printmaking than have regrets that I didn’t capture enough on the light-sensitive stock.

In keeping with my desire to get as much from the negative as possible, I made the print and then re-made it. I could have rested satisfied with the first version, but my curiosity got the better of me. On the second go-round, instead of a single scan, I did two: one for the foreground and one for the background, which I then masked and combined in Photoshop.  I was rewarded by a much livelier rendition in the second attempt, especially in the foreground flowers. I went to nineteen iterations, playing with balancing the sky off against the foreground. I wanted the dark clouds to move forward and have some variation in tone and not be a dead “curtain” but not so strong that they became the primary focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment