Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Week of 10 28 2013: Urban Idyll

Exciting News!!

It’s official! An image from the project has made its way into the national and international print world!
The photo is in the November issue of The Sun Magazine, p.8.  It looks like it hasn't hit the newsstands quite yet. 

Location: Lookout above Waterworks, Fairmount Park
Image size: 11.5 x 17.3 approx
Camera: Superheadz Blue Ribbon
Lens: Super Fat 22mm
Film: Kodak Gold 400
Develop: PhotoLounge, 19th and Chestnut, Phila. 
Scan: Epson V500
Print: Epson Artisan 1430/ Cone Color Inks/ Moab Lasal

A super-wide angle lens creates a world all its own; or, one could say, one that simply does not look like the one we perceive due to the optics of the human eye.  I carry a $20 plastic appurtenance along with my regular camera and I’m starting to get a feel for how it renders the physical world. I went back to the location where this was shot and was surprised to see how shallow the space actually is.


I can very easily see why people become toy camera junkies but I’m in no hurry to invest in more gear or give up my more complex, slower cameras. I still love the discipline of a very a carefully composed and technically executed shot, and the results when it flies. I’m suspecting too that working with different camera methodologies on a regular basis causes each to play off and strengthen each other.  

Right: Photo that will be appearing in Nov.'s 
The Sun Magazine. Taken at 22nd and South (L2 Restaurant). Camera was a 1936 Welta Weltur. 

No comments:

Post a Comment