Monday, November 4, 2013

Week of November 4, 2013: West Philadelphia



Image Size: Approx: 13 x 19 @240 dpi
Location: 34th and Lancaster
Camera: Nikon FM2n
Lens: Nikkor 35-105 zoom
Film: Kodak Gold Max 400
Scan: Epson V500
Proof: Epson Artisan 1430/ Cone Color Inks/ Moab Lasal

As I recall, the day I shot this, it seemed nothing was really falling into place, I had walked around a lot but little seemed to feel like it would it make a photograph.  I don't worry about this too much.  Letting go of all the unnecessary stuff in my head is as important as making the images. Then I saw the clouds and the rooflines and the photo was just "there" in the viewfinder. Likewise, the print seemed to be self-guiding and didn't fight me. It politely asked for certain things and I obliged, getting a result that I liked in seven or eight trials, rather than twenty or more.

West Philly, that always seemed so rock-stable is also seeing changes in the landscape. This is very much a mixed use area. The concrete block and hedgerow you see in the foreground that looks so at home here are part of a typical 7-11. Right across the street, Drexel has just demolished a rather unassuming low building that I think was an engineering research lab and it looks like they are preparing to put up something very tall and large. The landscape is always in flux.







No comments:

Post a Comment