Tuesday, November 26, 2013

11/25/13 Analog or Digital?

Location: Ridge Avenue near Lemon Street
Image Size: Approx 13 x 19 @240 dpi
Print: 8” x 12”
Camera: Nikon FM2n
Lens: Nikkor 28-105 Zoom
Film: Kodak Portra 400, developed by PhotoLounge
Scan: Epson V500
Conversion to black and white in PhotoShop
Print: Epson Artisan 1425/ Cone Color Inks/ Moab Lasal

This image seemed to be calling to me to go and reshoot even though the day was bitterly cold. Miraculously, I caught a similar light and cloud shapes that also work.  The re-do was with the micro 4/3 Lumix on a monopod at a low ISO. I also did a capture with an amazing 6 x 6 cm 120 film folding camera made by Zeiss in the 50’s called a Mes Ikonta. I’ll be posting some of the Zeiss shots on the Concrete Muse Facebook page.

When the cold wind is whipping by, I want to keep things as simple and easy as possible so I can think about what I’m photographing.  A single camera with a zoom lens fills the bill, but I really wanted to see what a large negative shot of this would look like. The Mes has very small controls on the shutter for aperture and speed.  Additionally, the film advance is via a red window that has a tiny tab for opening and closing its cover. Top that off with a rangefinder that is a separate window and a manually set focus! It’s just too fiddly for serious winter use in the field; my hands started to feel like ice cubes.   

The negative had some long, thin scratches, possibly created when I slid the film out from the mylar sleeve that it came in. These I carefully repaired using the healing tool in PhotoShop.  I created three scans that I then combined: one for the foreground, one for the sky and one for the dark area of the broken wall on the right.  The print felt to me like it didn’t need to be a full 13 x 19 and would work better printed somewhat smaller.

The two prints at similar size, make an interesting study. The second digital version is below. The medium format version will be posted in the next few weeks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment