Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Week of 02/10/14

Date: Jan 24, 2014
Location: Fairmount Park as seen from Spring Garden Bridge
File size: 12 x 18 @240 dpi
Camera: Canon Eos 5D
Lens: Nikon, AF-D, 50mm 1.4
ISO: 1600
Aperture: Not recorded, close to wide open
Shutter: 1/15 sec

Philadelphia has excellent bridge views and they are great places to get unobstructed looks at the city.  The more humble Spring Garden Bridge is no exception. The day I shot this, it was close to un-passable due to a recent snowfall and a lack of snow removal. I was somewhat concerned I’d slip or get my shoes soaked or filled with snow and my feet would freeze into wooden blocks. Luckily, I didn’t turn back, primarily because I had been inside all day and was restless to explore with the camera.  As I approached the eastern shore of the Schuylkill, this dreamlike vista unfolded. Without a tripod, I improvised a support by resting my elbows on the bridge railing, fired, and continued homeward without another thought to my feet.

Upcoming in the next week or two: “Medium Format Love,” a variety of images I’ve taken around town on black and white roll film and a multi-image look at Woodland Cemetery in west Philadelphia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment